What happens if I use up my savings and can no longer afford to pay for care?

Most people find this is not a problem.

Before accepting an offer of a place you should check that you have enough assets to pay the refundable accommodation deposit (RAD) or ongoing income to pay the daily accommodation payment (DAP) or enough to make a combination payment (part RAD / part DAP).

If you have lower means you may qualify as a low-means resident and pay lower fees.

Financial advice can help you to structure your finances to ensure you can continue to meet your payments.

The amount you contribute towards your ongoing care is based on your income and assets.

If your income or assets reduce, your fees may also reduce or vice versa.

The government has also introduced caps on the means-tested fee to limit how much you will pay. There is a daily, annual and lifetime cap.

If circumstances beyond your control do place you in financial hardship and you can’t meet your ongoing fees you can apply to the government to have fees waived.

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.